Thursday, December 2, 2010

Monica Lynn Manoski

Monica Lynn Manoski: My art serves as a visual map. Each completed piece cements a period of time in which I examine different thoughts, actions, emotions, and responsibilities. Textures evoke many of the feelings I experience while creating. The utilization of light and shadow and their play on various surfaces allows for the expression of these ideas.

The visual power of an object’s surface is great. Yet, this superficial skin is often very delicate and easily damaged. My work makes use of materials that are vulnerable to the touch and the elements. Each piece is made from textiles, which are thin and malleable. This fabric is fastened only by dressmaker’s pins that, over time, may work their way out of position. In addition, the surfaces of each work jut out into the third dimension, leaving them prone to abuse. Thus, my fabrications confront the issue of ephemerality. Like my human engagements which this work represents, my artwork is delicate, but there is beauty and strength in that fragility.

Process and materiality are essential in the development of my artistic expressions. The physical and emotional practice leads to new self-discovery. Therefore, I allow the materials and process to guide my practice and not the vision of a finished work. This unforeseen outcome provokes new and continuing creativity.

The abstract nature of my work encourages the viewer to discover instances that relate to their interpersonal thoughts and relations. Each work serves as a window of imagination. Through the use of light, shadow, and surface my work exhibits the sojourn to self-discovery (website).


Engaged
66 x 72 x 36"



Engrossed
60 x 66 x 24"


Exhausted
24 X 26 X 12"

No comments:

Post a Comment