Monday, March 1, 2010

Miwa Koizumi

Miwa Koizumi "My interests are varied, and the materials I use to express my ideas run the full gamut of contemporary artistic practice. My main themes are of memory and disappearance, which I express by using natural phenomenon to reveal simple facts about our everyday existence. I enjoy bringing your attention to those simple wonders which are easy to forget in a everyday life. I use sound, image, smell and taste as a materials. I usually present my work a careful installation. An installation is a way to leave the confines of the material and approach the freedom of dealing directly with ideas I am excited to make an installation of almost nothing. On trash: Since I moved to NY four years ago, I have started to see garbage as small creatures. Everywhere I go they are waiting for me. I pass by and they want to talk with me. I think this is based on an Asian mentality. ( also I use a lot of ephemeral materials to make a meaning for nothing) Especially in Japan, we have many spirits in our everyday life. Even if an object doesn't have a mind, its spirit affects me. This idea gives me a different point of view when observing things. One day I was thinking that.... ages ago every human would hunt or forage for materials outside (animals are still living the same way). I decided to go outside looking for ideas and material to make my work. This is how my "PET" and "kite project" came out of my head." (from Artist Statement on site)
plastic water bottles, 2005
installation view at Sawaguzo at Redux

Poland Spring heel, 2005


plastic water bottles, 2005
installation view at Sawaguzo at Redux

No comments:

Post a Comment