Friday, March 5, 2010

ROBERT BRADFORD


Robert Bradford grew up in a fairly bland South London suburb and wanted to become an artist from a very young age. In 2004 Robert began experimenting with a series of sculptures which utilise plastic toys as their main modelling material, and which have now attracted consistent international attention. After trials with two unsatisfactory construction methods, he began screwing the toys into wooden armatures, which proved both strong and highly adaptable as a method. "For a long time now I have preferred to use materials that are not bland i.e. have some kind of history of weathering or use. One day about four years ago out in the studio I was looking into my childrens box of outgrown / discarded toys which happened to be stored in the same building and responded to the random collection of colours shapes and forms they made. I figured that if I could find a way of putting them together to constitute a larger form they would have great potential as larger scale sculpture. Over the next while I experimented with two other construction methods (which both had their downsides) - before one day about a year ago in frustration I tried putting a screw through one toy and then many others. To my surprise most didn’t crack or shatter and the new series has been largely based around and developed from that fact."(from Robert Bradford's website)
  • Wood Mesh Plastic Toys
  • 1m x 0.60m x 0.60m


  • Wood Sections Gloss Paint 
  • 1m x 3m x 1.5m


  • Mixed in Box Frame
  • 40 x 60 x 18 cm
  • framed

No comments:

Post a Comment